Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Holy Ghost Concept-Check!

Everyone remember Karianna and the whole Holy-Ghost-is-a-dove debacle? She was convinced she couldn't feel the Holy Ghost in her heart because it is ridiculous to assume a bird can live inside her heart. We had a good conversation about what that meant and how she can feel the Holy Ghost. I honestly could not tell if she was clear about the concept until a few nights ago when I was drying her off from a bath. We were getting ready to go to a wedding reception and Karianna was kind of staring off into space. Then, with no prompting whatsoever, she said:

"Mama, can you feel that?" I said, "What is it Karianna?" She put her hands over her heart and said, "Mama, Jesus is making my heart feel happy." A little dumbfounded, I asked her, "How do you know?" Karianna told me, "Because I am not making bad choices, and the Holy Ghost is helping my heart feel happy." She smiled really big and took off to the loft, leaving me sitting there on the bathroom floor in a whirl of emotion.

My favorite scripture of all time is Mosiah 3:19, saying "...[become] as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father". If I could have the fath that Karianna demonstrates, to become as a child in this sense, I would be overjoyed and feel so blessed. Things seem so difficult sometimes from the adult perspective, we let life deter us from the things that truly matter-I know I am guilty of it a hundred times over. This is my goal though, to become as a little child and let the Lord direct my life with the hope and promise that I will get to be with my wonderful family forever. Pretty great blessing if you ask me and I am so grateful for children who remind me of that goal in their simple yet profound ways.

No comments: