Thursday, August 7, 2008

Getting Ready for School!

An Erickson family tradition that we had growing up was first-day-of-school-pictures. I realize that this picutre is far from the best, but its the only one I could find, plus this was my number one favorite outfit in elementary school (scary). When I told Karianna about this picture, she said to me, "Mama, when you went to school, I was still living with Heavenly Father". Cuteness-but I digress....The first day of school picture was the same shot every year: wearing brand new clothes, toting a new backpack, and standing somewhere on the walkway leading up to our house. I even remember taking a picture before leaving for my first year of college!

So it seemed appropriate this morning that I begin the tradition with Karianna when she announced to me this morning that she was getting ready to go to school. She doesn't start preschool for another few weeks, but Karianna kind of preempted that time frame and made an executive decision to start her formal schooling now! She picked out some excellent first day clothes, found her new Disney backpack that we picked up a few days ago, and filled it with computer paper, crayons, books, and chapstick. Then she grabbed a lunchbox and filled it with pretend food-she even put in a plastic spoon, fork, napkin and a miniature dixie cup that are usually reserved for Jordan. She informed me that you don't use a sippy cup at school. Silly mom, I should have known.
When she got to "school" ie our office, she proceeded to read a book, say all the letters and sounds using some flashcards I have, tell time to the best of her ability on a play clock, and write a letter to one of her friends-she wrote "I Love You" all by herself before drawing a picture of her friend holding a purse. She then sealed it and we stamped it-someone might be getting a letter in the mail soon!
School is apparently still in session, but Karianna is doing "recess" by watching Super Why on PBS-at least this is what she told me. I love that my daughter is so excited about school! I have to admit though, I have been slightly weepy thinking about the fact that I am not so far away from sending her off to kindergarten! Which is why I am personally taking advantage of these moments with my kids at home-time definitely well spent! Oops, recess is over, better go...
PS I found another picture while I was searching for school pictures...

No comments: