Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Lunchtime Topic: Baptism

Lunchtime is a great time for me to just chat with the kids about anything and everything. Today's topic of conversation was Baptism.

Me: So Karianna, tell me what you know about baptism.
Karianna: First the daddy says a prayer, second he puts the boy under the water, third he brings the boy back up again-and he is baptized! (the picture on the fridge depicts this scene)
Me: And what does the daddy do when he says the special baptism prayer?
Karianna: He raises his hand (she does so and JD copies her as well).
Me: What else do you know? Look at the picture to help you.
Karianna: You wear white clothes.....and you are eight years old....and mama, what do you do if you make bad choices?
Me: I don't know, what do you do?
Karianna: You get baptized.
Me: But you can only get baptized one time.
Karianna: Well, when you get baptized you get clean.
Me: But what if you make a bad choice after you are baptized? What do you do?
Karianna: You.......um.......I know! I know! You repent!
Me: Yea! That's right! You say a repenting prayer so Heavenly Father and Jesus can forgive you!
Karianna: Yes, and then you can be clean like when you get baptized in the water.
Me: Karianna, I have a new word to tell you, listen: immersion. Can you say that?
Karianna: Immersion.
Me: Do you know what that means? It means when you get baptized you have to go all the way under the water!!!!!!
Karianna: Ooooooooooh. I know.
Me: So your head has to go under the water and your legs....
Karianna: And your hair.
Me: And your fingers.
Karianna: And your eyes.
Me: And your toes.
Karianna: And your belly button-all of your body!!!!!!
Me: Yes, and then you will be baptized by Immersion, and you will go all the way under the water.
Karianna: Yes, and I am brave to be baptized all the way under the water. Can I be baptized today after naptime??????
Me: (chuckle chuckle) well, lets wait until you are a little bit older, okay?
Karianna: OH kay (it really was two words-she was a little exasperated that she had to wait).

No comments: