Karianna came up to me the other day and asked me the following question: "Do kids get breast cancer?" I was surprised at her question; she and I have talked about breast cancer a few times, but I was surprised that she related it to kids. She explained that she had a pain that extended from her collarbone down into her chest and she was worried it was breast cancer. I assured her it was probably just muscle pain and she would be fine. Karianna forgets nothing.
A few days ago I asked Karianna to make her Christmas list for me. She got to 3 items and then got stuck. I asked her what else do you want or need for Christmas? She said: "A year's supply of food would be good." Ha ha! Someone has been listening to our post-election conversations!
JD was doing his homework last week and came to a story with some questions. He apparently didn't want to do it because he had the following conversation with Jared:
JD: Dad, do you know how to read?
Jared: Yes, JD, I do.
JD: I'm not sure aobut that. Here. Read this story and then answer the questions. That will tell me if you really know how to read.
Laugh, laugh, laugh!
A few nights ago, JD came into our bedroom around midnight. He told Jared he was super cold (that's an AZ kid for you!). Jared told JD he'd get an extra blanket for him, and then ended up grabbing 4 of them to cover up the rest of the kids too. Jard tossed the first blanket over JD-the biggest and warmest-and JD yelled out, "I can't sleep with that thing-its a barbie blanket!!!!" So Jared said, "Okay, how about this tinkerbell blanket?" JD agreed, but as soon as Jared walked out of the room, JD tossed it off. In the morning, when Jared told me this story, JD chimed in with his thoughts on the whole situation: "Dad, what were you thinking??????"
During one of our political conversations, I was fielding quesitons from JD and Karianna. Here's some of our conversation:
Karianna: Is Obama going to get to 270 before Mitt Romney?
Me: I unfortuneatly think that will happen. Do you know what that means?
Karianna: Yes, it means we are stuck with Obama for 4 more years (she said it, not me!)
Me: Yes, and that means the government will keep spending money that we don't have. That means we have to pay the government back. Do you know how much you would owe? About 234,000 dollars!
Karianna: What????? But I only have 54 dollars!!!!
At this point, Karianna started crying-literally. She really takes her money seriously and this was a big deal to her. We talked about it of course to help her feel better, but the real thing that lifted her spirits was JD's question:
JD: Is Barack Obama really a girl?
I LOVE my kids!
If you ask Sara "Why are you so nice?", she will tell you, "Because Jesus made me nice." It works with any positive adjective. Now, I have to fully admit to feeding her that line, but its cute nonetheless!
Disclaimer for the final tidbit-we do not agree with the following assumption at all, but it was unique and threw us yet again for a loop, so I have to put it in here.
We were watching a football game at the Lautenschlager's house last night when Karianna asked a question: Why do most football players have dark skin? Well, I wasn't sure, so I fielded the question over to the guys who actually enjoy football. They were all floundering around for a good answer, so I picked it back up and began to answer Karianna's question....I wasn't answering fast enough apparently because she filled in the blank with the following;
Me: You know sweetie, a lot of dark-skinned guys play football because they are just really--
Karianna: violent?
Um, not where I was going with that!!!!!! I was going to say "they are just really good at sports" and leave it at that!!!!! We do not condone such huge umbrella statements that verge on prejudice. Guess we need to have a family home evening on the topic. :)
Monday, November 12, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment