Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Our 75-degree-cool 4th of July!

We were lucky enough to spend this 4th of July in Show Low with Jared's family! Jared's sister Aubrey was playing in a softball tournament over the holiday weekend, so we joined them for the games, firewords, and general fun in the pines. I discovered while watching fireworks that Karianna is a true blue Erickson-about every 2 or 3 minutes, she would ask us, "Is this the grand finale?" You might have to be an Erickson to truly appreciate that! Thanks to the Lautenschlagers for having us, and hooray for Aubrey and her awesome softball skills!

I love heading up to the White Mountain area! The pine trees were so beautiful and the sky was constantly dotted with huge fluffy clouds; we got rain every day, and when the drops started to fall, the temperatures would inevitablely drop several degrees-heaven for a Phoenix dwelling family! The kids learned the art of hiking and rock hopping through a creek and loved hanging out with Jared's family. That is just the best part of family vacations-the bonds that are formed while spending so much time together are priceless. We could be the next family on the VISA or mastercard commercials: car rental-80 bucks; fast food stop on the road-20 bucks; 2 hour traffic delay on a 1 lane highway-a bazillion bucks worth of gasoline; time with the family-priceless. Now I have to figure out who to petition to make my commercial reality :)

Here's some pictures from our trip-I didn't snap too many pictures because when I make that my goal, the kids always get fussy and grumpy. You'll notice that when you see the 4th of July headband picture-I took that picture when my goal WAS to make our trip a great photographic journal. That's when I decided pictures were second to family fun!


The Torture: No one was quite happy wearing the oh-so-fasionable headbands that I thought were too festive to pass up. I was wrong. Karianna is obviously a sad camper. JD is happy becuase he figured out how to take off his headband before I could snap a picture. And Jordan-well, he didn't care too much as long as he could suck on Karianna's fingers. So from here on out-no more forced photo shoots-just random shots of either happy kids or oblivious kids!

Jordan was the only one willing to pose with his headband-this shot made it worth it!

This is the view from our hotel-we were one of the first reservations in a brand new Hampton neslted in the middle of the pines, and it was beautiful!

The accomodations: a wonderfully huge queen bed all for Karianna!

A not so comfortable camping cot for JD-but we made up for it by putting it next to the AC vent! You can see he made himself right at home by christening his space with his beloved toys :)

Playing at the park during Aubrey's softball games-JD is fearless when it comes to climbing at the park! Its a wonder to me that he is still in one piece!

This is why JD's not-so-comfortable cot was the best spot in the room-see the curtains blowing from the nice AC vent???? I almost switched him places in the middle of the night.

Jordan stealing a cat nap on mom and dad's bed.

Karianna succumbing to naptime-which she fought off with the bravery of....someone really brave of whom I can't think of at the moment...Got it, the Brave Little Toaster. That'll work.

Hanging out on the balcony and enjoying the view-we are definitely heading back to this spot!

No comments: