Disclaimer: Per my post title, I do not condone the use of the word "crap" and will henceforth refer to it as "cra*"
Yesterday I slammed my ankle against our metal bed frame really hard, twisting it and scratching it pretty good. When it happened, I yelled "CRA*" pretty loud because it just hurt really bad! I banged it right on a bundle of what I can only assume is nerves, tendons, and ligaments-painful! Anyhow, JD came running into my room just as I was massaging my ankle and said, "What happened?" I said, "Mama got an owie on her foot". I showed him the scratch, which he proceeded to very gently touch with his fingers. And then in his little innocent 2 year old voice, he said, "cra*". Oh no! What did I teach my son??? I know this isn't the worst word that a child could pick up, but at that moment I could just imagine him playing in nursery at church and saying it anytime someone fell down; and lets face it, that happens a lot in nursery. I could be responsible for a whole generation of potty mouths!
As if that was not bad enough, when Jared got home later that day, I was telling him about what happened, including JD's reaction. JD must have overheard the conversation because when I was showing Jared my ankle, he rushed over to look at it-he was very concerned, saying, "Mama got owie." And as he peered at my injured ankle, he once again very concernedly uttered the word "cra*". So it is official, I have inadvertantly taught my son an innappropriate word that he now uses without prompting of any sort. In the education world we learn that a child "owns" a new vocabulary word that he or she can independently use across different situationso or environments. So if I hear JD use that word in a situation that does not involve ankles, I'm in trouble. Do you think if I teach him to say and use the term "vicarious works for the dead" everything will just cancel out? One can only hope!
Tuesday, July 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment