Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Jackson's Cardiology Update

 When Jackson was born, I asked our cardiologist to do an echo just to make sure his heart looked good.  His fetal echo went very well, so we weren't expecting anything to be wrong-just needed the peace of mind.  He had his follow up echo on day 2 of life in the hospital. Nothing major was wrong, though they saw a potential PDA and some mitral regurgitation.  We scheduled another follow up when he hit 3 months, which is what we did today.  I wasn't worried necessarily, though the thought of having 2 babies with heart issues scared me enough to make me have bad dreams the night before.

I didn't plan for childcare very well, so I decided to experiment taking James and Sara with me.  We got to Banner Desert just a few minutes late due to an accident on the 60; I had called the office to let them know, as I hate being late for doctor appointments.  It ended up not mattering, given that we were not allowed to enter the building when we got there!  A policeman blocked our way and told us no one was allowed in the building because there was a "situation" on the bottom level and police were searching every floor.  We found out later shots had been fired on the bottom floor of the building and though they had apprehended the shooter, they were searching the entire building just in case.  We were just fine waiting.  About 25 minutes later, we were allowed back in and finally headed up to the card's office.
 I didn't know what to expect from these two hooligans, but they both did so very well-to the degree that I would take then all again.  They sat and watched quietly-and that's it.  They ate their snack.  I didn't even have to pull out the distractions I had packed in the diaper bag. Overall, pretty darn impressive!

Jackson was a happy little cookie-head the entire time too (I call the younger kids "cookie-heads" all the time. I don't know why.).  He would not stop smiling after his echo, which he was awake for and just watched the moving images on the baby Einstein movie the entire time.  As the echo tech said, doesn't he know Doctor appointments are no fun?  Apparently not!
 James loved watching Jackson get his stickers during his EKG!
 The whole crew waiting for Dr. Garn to come and tell us everything looked great-which he did!  Jackson's heart looks perfect, and there is no sign at this point of a PDA or any mitral regurgitation.  He does not have to come back for any check ups either.  I can't tell you how relieved I was to hear that!
 Dr. Garn also said that we could schedule James for a May appointment as opposed to a June appointment.  That makes me feel a ton better because I am mentally preparing myself for a summer surgery.  I just feel it in my gut...I hope with all my heart that I am wrong.  How happy James was today, probably because he was at the cardiologist and it was NOT his turn!
Feeling very grateful today!

No comments: