JD has been reading Junie B. Jones chapter books for a long time now. I was surprised he liked them, since the main character is a girl. I think he just likes how irreverent they can be, and figured that was just fine! The other day though, he brought home a book I personally don't like, and I THINK I remember telling my 3rd graders long ago that I would never put them in my school or home library. I think I have to change my mind now.
JD read a Captain Underpants book. He loved it. He finished the last 6 chapters by flashlight under his blanket so I wouldn't make him put it down. He loved it. Did I say that already? I meant it. How can I deprive him of reading something he loves? Sigh. Guess we'll be stuck getting Captain Underpants books this summer. I am going to introduce him to Magic Tree House books as well though, see if we can get him into that. A bit more "appropriate". Oh, too funny. Jokes about wedgies and toilets. Wonderful. ;)
Monday, May 13, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
My boys love Junie B. Jones too! Skyler's favorites are the A to Z mystery series. It didn't take him to long to see the pattern in the Magic Tree House books, so he doesn't care for those much anymore. I'm trying to push him to the next level reading-wise, but he is so particular about what he reads and seems almost afraid of trying new books!
Karianna was the same way! She read most of the tree house books, but she got bored by them. She's particular too, she was getting into any type of girly-diary type book, but it was affecting her personality and tone around the house, and I did not like that at all, so I am working on steering her towards other books too. She has done Harry Potter, and she loves FAblehaven-I'm hoping to intro some more classics this summer. WE'll see how that goes!
Post a Comment