Thursday, May 30, 2013

We Own a Bus

It is official....we own a bus.  We picked it up today from the dealership and we have survived the initial ride home from Glendale.  We now own a 15-passenger Ford 350 XLT.  It is affectionately known by our kids as the White Whale.

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around it...that is, the idea that we own a car this big.  There are times I will sit back and feel kind of embarrassed that we went ahead and bought a car this big.  We obviously don't need all that space, and never will!  But then, I have to remind myself this car was about 6000 dollars cheaper than the 12-passenger van we were also looking at...and that's a lot.  So what if we have an extra bench? We'll take it out, and I'll never have to worry about cargo space.  I just have to wrap my mind around it, that's all!

Driving a vehicle this big is going to take some work.  I have only driven it a few times thus far, and I am already hyper-aware that things like changing lanes, parking, and turning will never be the same again.  Checking your blind spot is obsolete in this car-it doesn't help, and if it supposed to, I'm missing how to do it.  My rearview mirror is also ineffective....all it helps me see is the last few benches and a muddled glimpse out the back windows-nothing that will ever help me drive.  I have to really get used to relying on my side mirrors, which have an upclose view and a farther away view...I have to learn to switch my gaze real quick from one to the other, like bifocals, to ensure safety before jetting out into another lane of traffic.  Parking I can handle-I think. Of course, handling means parking out in the boonies and hope no other cars are silly enough to park near a 15 seater van.  We'll see how that one goes.

I do have to say though, I love driving this car because of the sheer power.  It's like a tank. I have no qualms driving it, and the kids think we are so cool being so high up.  It's in good shape that way,  I just have to get used to the other quirks.

For now, I am feeling less inclined to go out on errands just because it seems like such a hassle to drive around in the White Whale.  That will have to change next week when a whole barrage of summer activities start.  Hopefully, that will go well and my worries about driving a bus will dissipate quickly!

No comments: