Sometimes I post funny comments the kids have said or sweet family moments on Facebook, and forget to record them on the blog, but I don't want to forget about these "pearls", so here are some I pulled from Facebook:
Karianna: Mom, what is a labyrinth?
Me: Kind of like an underground maze.
Karianna: Oh. So kind of like the catacombs where the Phantom lives.
Me: Catacombs? Where did you learn that word?
Karianna: I've known that word FOREVER! It's an underground place where you can bury people.
This girl's vocabulary shocks me all the time.
Me: I am so tired of cleaning!!!!
JD: Too bad you aren't a Dad, then you could just sit around and do NO cleaning at all.
Karianna told me today she wants to be a Broadway singer when she grows up. She has memorized all the Wicked songs....she's doing the same thing with Phantom songs. We talked today about protecting her voice....she asked how I made my voice "shake" when I sang-thus I taught her about vibrato. We performed phantom songs while riding our bikes on the sidewalk in front of our home. She told me she was born to sing. I think we've got the start of something cool.
What was your "Made Me Smile" moment of the day? Mine: I was in Wamart with James and Jordan and an elderly gentleman stopped me to say, "You have 2 beautiful children....and they sure do have a beautiful mother." Made me smile! What was yours?
This is how I got an unwilling 8th-grade detention center student to warm up to me: I let him challenge me by writing any math problem for me to solve. He gave me a 22-digit subtraction problem with regrouping in each place value. And he said I had to read the answer to him. Ah, he doesn't know I'm a math nerd in hiding.....
Jared's telling a scripture story to the kids (brother of Jared)....
Jared: And the families all packed up and decided to leave.
Karianna: But how did they survive with no electricity?
Me: They didn't have electricity sweetie, they were used to it.
Karianna: Well, how did they get anywhere with no cars then?
[No one answers fast enough]
Karianna: I guess they just used Mexican handcarts or something.
?????What???? And then we all laugh because that just made no sense. ;)
Me: What's 9+8?
JD: 17.
Me: How do you know?
JD: Because 9 and 8 is 17.
Me: Yes, but how do you know?
JD: Because if you have 9 and add 8 more you get 17.
Me: YES, but how do you know????
JD: Because I'm smart.
LOL. Sure, I was looking for an answer that mirrored near doubles, but how can I argue with him on that????
While I was nursing James, I felt inclined to tell him, "James, if you have to have any other surgeries in the future, I am so sorry that I can't stop them-I love you and don't want you to hurt." James paused, smiled, and reached up to rest his hand on my cheek for a few moments. My heart melted.
And just because he is James, he proceeded to shove his entire fist in my mouth to try and pull my teeth out, just because he's cool like that. Love my little boy!
I showed Karianna how to do laundry one time last week, just to start her out. Fast forward to today. I'm in the middle of teaching and hear the washer start from down the hall. I run out there real quick and find Karianna has switched the white load to the dryer, started it, separated a pile of colored clothes and put them in the washer, set the water temp and size, put it on the correct cycle, added soap and started it. The entire universe just changed: I have a child who knows how to do laundry!!!!!
Friday, February 15, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment