Friday, December 16, 2011

The James Journey: Day 6

Happy 1 Week Birthday James!  One week ago, you entered the world, so beautiful and so perfect, wonderfully alert and absolutely loved. You have endured so much in one week-more than any infant should endure.  But what a blessing your spirit has been to our family in the last 7 days.  Truly, today is a celebration.

Today was the first day of true operation recovery.  James did wonderful overnight-the only issue was his blood pressure, which kept dropping below the 60/70 range they like to see on the top.  It was a night of adjustment, as the nurses worked through different medications to stabalize his blood pressure.  By 7AM, it was in the normal range and has stayed there all day.  I was shocked that I actually slept last night....I really attribute that to the spirit of comfort and peace I could feel from the Lord.  Yes, things went so well yesterday, and yes, James had a smooth transition from surgery to recovery.  Those are all things that instigate peace.  However, it was more than that.  The spirit was prevelant in our tiny hospital room last night and it was radiating from James.  I slept knowing he was being watched over, cared for by the Lord and many on the other side of the veil.  What a blessing faith is. 

Many things happened today to further James' road to recovery.  The doctors removed his umbilical lines (UAC and UVC), his catheter, and most notably, his chest tube.  The latter was a hard one to watch and it does hurt.  James was given some morphine beforehand to ease the pain, but the look that crossed his face as the tube was retracted was hard to watch, especially since he was still sedated and unable to express his emotions.  Once it was out though, he calmed down pretty quickly and has had no negative side effects.  James did swell up a little bit today in the face, but he was due to receive a diarhetic today that brought the swelling down within a few hours. 

The biggest change for today, however, came this evening when he was taken off his ventilator.  The doctors had been lowering his dependency on it all day, and James was breathing over the machine anyways.  They tried to escabate him mid afternoon, and James did not take to it very well, so they put him back on.  They opted to take him off of his pain meds at that point to help him wake up more and then they went cold turkey around 8:00 tonite-completely taking him off the ventilator, tubes out, the whole deal.  I was nervous because I was driving back to the hospital at that time.  Jared was thankfully at James' bedside, and was giving me the play by play.  It was hard to know they were doing this without knowing for sure that he would be able to handle breathing on his own.  It wasn't long, however, before Jared was telling me that all tubes were out and James was breathing wonderfully.  If that wasn't miraculous enough, he was also wide awake, eyes staring around the room.  With the tubes all out, the nurses were able to bundle him up in a swaddle, put a beanie on his head, and completely reposition his body.  He looks like my little James!  Jared kept saying how beautiful he looked over the phone and the sentiment was so accurate when I ran into the hospital and saw him.  There have been so many pivotal moments in the last 48 hours, but this one seemed huge-his body and his heart are working on their own.  Another mini miracle, and one that has allowed James to be much more relaxed and peaceful.

So today has been a big day and yet another one that has left me grateful.  I put up multiple pictures on our "bedroom" walls, particularly pictures of the kids holding James after he was born.  We received another beautiful donation from friends of PCH-a hand crochted blanket and hat that are amazingly soft, and a white rabbit-also amazingly soft (but not real).  Another doner left a present under our little Christmas tree-a few 0-3 month onesies for James.  Jared and I are completely resolved that we want to help PCH when we are financially capable.  The support of annonymous doners is just so amazing-it is not what is given, but the sentiment that is so clearly behind the giving-people want to help raise the spirits of those in the hospital.  Once again, we feel so overwhelmed and humbled. 

The nurses and doctors continue to be our extended family, and wonderful caregivers.  Their comments have been so encouraging today:  "James ia champ!....He's the star baby for today!....James is my personal project; I have been here for all his important moments and I plan to stick with him".  My favorite comment of the day:  "James pees like a champ!"  The staff here is so encouraging and positive, I couldn't help but express my sentiments to the doctors and nurses doing rounds tonite.  I wish I could personally thank every single nurse and doctor we have seen since checking in-they have all made a huge difference.

My favorite moment of the day happened this morning when I woke up and started to get ready for the day.  I went to say good morning to James and as soon as I started talking, he opened his eyes and stared at me for 10 seconds straight.  It was obvious how difficult it was for him to maintain eye contact, as his lids started to close every few seconds.  But he fought the weariness to connect with me and I could feel his spirit letting me know he was okay and that he knew I loved him....and vice versa.  We continue to be so grateful for James and the many things he is teaching us.  I find my termperment is more compassionate and peaceful with the kids.  I yearn to find ways to serve more and pay back the enormous amount of service that has been shown to our family.  I find myself looking for ways to express to the Lord my changing testimony and overall commitment to the gospel.  The positives keep growing and I am looking forward to another positive day tomorrow!

No comments: