Our family started doing a Christmas Eve party last year, complete with pinata, games, and a dramatic reading, actors and all, of Luke 2. We continued the tradition this year, which the kids were very excited about! Despite everything that is going on with James, we didn't want the kids to miss out, so we planned to split up the party and take turns chaperoning the kids. Jared took them for the first hour, which mostly centered around dinner, and then he came home to switch places with me. It was probably the first time we did a "normal" Christmas activity as a family (in shifts anyway). I am so glad the kids were able to make it as I know they would have missed out if we had decided to stay home. The kids had a blast at all the diferent activities and it was extremely comforting for me to watch them enjoy themselves so much. I worry they have been affected to a negative degree by everything-the multiple hospital trips, the varying babysitters, the changing menu options.....it was wonderful to see them sit back and enjoy hanging out with their extended family during the Christmas season.
We read Luke 2, with JD acting as Joseph, Karianna as the angel, Sara as a lamb, and Jordan as a King. We used the same costumes as last year, and once again, the kids looked awesome! I sang "When Joseph Went to Bethlehem" and everyone else joined in for several other songs. It went great, and I particularly loved watching Jordan waving to me at random moments and swaing back and forth to the music. JD always does a great job playing a humble Joseph and Karianna recited her angel lines quite well. Sara, believe it or not, pretty much sat in the same spot as a lamb for most of the prouction. Wouldn't have expected that!
Afterward, the kids played games and helped bust open the pinata before diving into the pile of candy (which totalled to almost more than we got at Halloween!) There were some fun toys in the pinata as well, which cracked me up! Overall, it was an awesome night and led well into some of our other Christmas Eve traditions. Things might not be normal all the way, but family stays the same, and for that, I am grateful!
No comments:
Post a Comment