Friday, June 6, 2008

Training a thumb sucker!


I think that's what I am doing-training a thumb sucker! Right now it is more like a fist sucker, but you get the idea. Jordan has hit a stage where he is waking up more frequently at night, not necessarily because he is hungry, just because he's in the middle of a REM cycle or something. But when he wakes up, if his binky is not in his mouth, he cries....which means I have to get out of bed, insert his binky and then try to find the nice comfortable position I was in before sleep was disturbed-it never happens :) I decided this morning, after a less than wonderful night of non-sleep, that Jordan needs to start relying on his binky less-or figure out an alternative form of sucking. So he has now been in his afternoon nap for an hour and has spent the whole thing, more or less crying. We are playing the 5 minute game, which worked wonderfully with Karianna, here's how to play: You lay your child down with a song, a few pats, and his binky, and then go. When he starts crying (and he will), you let him cry for 5 minutes before going back in and without picking him up, comforting him and such until he settles down. Then you leave again. And the cycle starts gain (and it will). The point for Jordan is to figure out how to either keep his binky in or calm himself down without it. Fun game right? Not recommended for adults though.

I just went to check on Jordan after a five minute interval and didn't hear any crying, so I thought woohoo, we have a winner! When I peeked into his room, he had one fist shoved into his mouth and was frantically sucking on it, as he hadn't figured out how to just get one thumb in. HIs eyes were wide open. I couldn't help but giggle, he looked so cute! I snuck out before he saw me and I have yet to hear from him! So maybe this will help our night time excursions to Jordan's closet-nursery! Stay tuned for the exciting conclusion!

3 comments:

Carly said...

Haha! Maddie's nursery was the closet too--she used to slide open the door when she was like a year old and yell "Hello!!!" to my sleeping parents. So move him before you get to that point! Anyway, at what point do they start finding their own fists? I think that's what Sam desperately needs.
Cute pictures from the birthday party. I am bummed that we missed it, but our house was almost as zoo-like that day with only one baby.

Carly said...

By the way, that was because the crib was next to the door-- the closet wasn't really that small, that sounded bad.

Rachel and Jared Lautenschlager said...

Anytime I mention that we moved our baby into the closet I always feel weird or get weird loooks. But seriously, anyone who sees our closet agrees it is just as big as a normal bedroom!! I have no idea why anyone would think to even need a closet that big.