Yes, I am going to quote the song our primary kids sang in church today:
Fathers are so special with a very special love. They watch us and protect us; they guide us and direct us back to our home above!
I love Father's Day, as I believe fathers have such a special and irreplacable role in the family unit. Jared is just the best dad I could every wish for my children. He is such a busy guy, in between work, his masters program and studying in crazy fashion for his designations right now. However, he is so mindful of his calling as a Father, and just seems to find the time to play tickle monster with the kids, read them scriptures at night, and scramble a couple of eggs for them in the monring. He can render the best baby smiles from Jordan known to man, and Karianna and JD absolutely adore him. What's best though is knowing that I have this man who will support me in this very Christ-like role of parenting, and without him I am just not sure where I would be. So although I do not need a special day to recognize Jared as an amazing father, he is just that and I love him more than words can express! Jared's dad is yet another "dad" in my life-and in OUR life-that is just a wonderful example of a great father who truly loves and cares for his children. I have personally always admired how level and calm he always is and I see so much of him in Jared. We sure do love him and are so thankful for the example he is in our lives, and in that of our children!
In addition (I know, the mind reels that I have more to say!) My dad was just the best Father you could ask for. I have so many wonderful memories of him teaching, loving, and supporting me. He taught me the most important life lessons I have every learned; showed me what it means to love as Christ does; and helped me glimpse the love of a parent. Today I have been contemplating a very poignant memory-though I only remember it through my mom's eyes. She told me on the evening Jared and I got married, after we had left the reception and they had returned home for the night, my dad went into the family room, to "his" couch, and just sat there staring off into space with a slight smile on his face, yet a bit of sadness in his eyes. I was his first child to marry, and upon asking told my mom he missed me in the only way a father could miss his daughter when the role of her protector and provider passed to another. I remember dancing with my dad at my reception. We didn't talk at all, and I could sense that same feeling in him. At the same time, we both had a silent understanding that although I was beginning a new chapter in my life, our relationship would never change, the love would never dwindle. I think back on this night a lot because though our situation has changed drastically, our relationship has not changed; the love of a father and a daughter has never dwindled. I am thankful this is a bond that transcends all things mortal and especially grateful that families are forever. I love my dad, and so grateful for all that he is to me.
Happy Fathers Day to all the dad's out there-what a special place you have! And if you are still with me :) Scroll down for some REALLY cute pictures of a one of a kind Princess Ball!
Sunday, June 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Thanx for sharing the memory of dad, even if it is through mom's eyes. I always love hearing the memories from someone else in the family!!!
Very nice post, Rachel. :)
I remember your dad after your reception too because I stayed and cleaned up, he was very pensive, but very happy. I also remember I thought Jared's face was going to break if his smile got any bigger that day. Happy belated Father's Day Jared!
By the way, did I ever thank you for getting married on prom day so I had an excuse to miss it? THANK YOU!
Hee hee, you are quite welcome Carly! Anything to get anyone out of prom-I never went to any proms either, a fact that Jared constantly reels at! Thanks for sharing your insight about Dad, I really appreciate that! Thanks to Becca too!
Post a Comment