Saturday, July 14, 2012

Summer Stuff: Arizona Science Center


I managed to pick up a culture pass for the AZ Science Center this past week and I was super excited at the chance to take Karianna and JD.  I love the Science Center! As a teenager, I used to volunteer there and I have loved it ever since.  I get in free with my status as a teacher, so with all the free admissions, we opted to pay the extra money for the planetarium.  All in all, we had a BLAST!  Well, 2 of us did.  JD kept telling me on the way home that he didn't like the Science Center because he got scared in the planetarium. I think the spinning sky and the roller coaster ride through the stars made him woozy and a bit scared, thus it "scarred" his entire perspective of the outing.  That didn't bug me too much. I know he enjoyed the other exhibits and probably even enjoyed the stars; he just isn't ready for Disneyland yet!  ;)  We took several pictures, which I'll post below with a few bylines.  I hope to be able to go again at some point, such a fun Saturday outing!

This was a new exhibit for me-and the kids loved it!


 The ever popular wheelchair race to see how exercise affects your pulse and heart rate.
 My favorite-the Dorrance Planetarium.  I LOVE this place, it is so amazing!  I am sad JD didn't feel the same, but Karianna loved it!
 The bed of nails.  A scary prospect that Karianna bravely took on.  JD refused to do it!
 Playing tug of war-JD had the harder side, pulling more of the weight.

 Climbing a wall....

 ....and pulling yourself up using a certain percentage of your body weight.

 This was a favorite. You just use your body motions to build momentum like a figure skater does. 
 My favorite room by far-weather and land formations.  Making clouds....
 .....checking out the globe....
 ....and my favorite machine, you get to make rocks and then change them with things like erosion, weather, and heat.  JD played this for a long time.
 We spent a long time at this exhibit making waterways and dams.

 Doesn't quite match up to the Hoover Dam though!
 It was right before we left when JD decided he wanted to try the bed of nails.  He got on it, chickened out, and got off.  He got on it again and started to chicken out, but got a burst of bravery and laid still as the nails rose. He did great, and I managed to snap a pic.  It looks like he is trying to protect the family jewels.  Totally should not have typed that and I'll have to delete it when I go to make my blog book so to not utterly alienate JD when he grows up.

For now, it's just funny.


Love my kids and fun times with them!

No comments: