Saturday, July 28, 2012

A Holy Story

Okay, I admit I stole that pun (which is indeed a pun) from the Weasley twins.

Karianna got her ears pierced!



In our family, we give the girls the option to get their ears pierced when they are 8 years old.  Since that is baptism age for us, we feel that is a good opportunity to introduce something that involves a higher degree of responsibility-and something that is pretty special.  Karianna has wanted her ears pierced for a long time, so I knew she would be an easy sell!  She asked me just a few days ago if she could wear my earrings as soon as she got her ears done.  She also asked me "why in the world" we never allowed her to wear clip-ons because they would have "looked so amazingly special and unique".  Ah, such a girl.  :) 

Even though it will be a month and a half before Karianna turns 8, I thought it would be nice to take care of her ears before school starts, just in case they get infected.  I also thought it would be nice to have her ears done before her baptism pictures in August.  Thus, we picked today to give Nana this very early birthday present. 
 Karianna only seemed slightly nervous sitting in the chair at Claire's.  She picked out a pair of small diamond earrings (of course they are real!!!!) and we talked her through ear care once she got home.  Karianna is such a responsible girl-she is very good at taking care of her things, and I have no concerns when it comes to earrings. 

With very little ado, the store associate marked Karianna's lobes, checked with me to make sure they were even, and one by one punched holes in Karianna's ears. She was the only person there so she had to do it one by one. I was worried Karianna would flinch on the second ear, but she held perfectly still.  She commented that it hurt more than she thought it would, but she said it was totally worth it. 

 A bit better view of her freshly pierced ears-her lobes got pretty red, but the coloring returned to normal within a few hours.
 See, no redness left!
So a fun mother-daughter date for Karianna and me!  Though the ear piercing took center stage, I very much enjoyed hanging out with the girlie-our conversations, more than anything.  I love you Karianna!

2 comments:

Rachel and Jared Lautenschlager said...

Do my comments work? This is just a test-not that anyone will probably see this. :)

Kristen said...

Yes they do!