Wednesday, October 28, 2009

No More Growing!

The last two weeks with Sara Grace have been just wonderful! However, I am experiencing an odd phenomenon that I have never had with the other three kids. Obviously Sara is still a newborn-teeny tiny, with her little stick legs flailing about, sleeping all day, and relying on me for her every need. So is it odd that I am already asking her to stop growing? I almost feel a little panicked at the idea that she is growing a little more every day! Sara broke the 8 pound mark at her 2 week appointment-eek! She now has about 4 or 5 half hour stretches every day where she is wide awake and alert-nooooo! Her hair is rapidly losing its dark shade and lightening up-STOP!

I can just see her lengthening, strengthening, and learning more and more every day, as if I could actually watch a seed sprout into a flower. I am already sad at the idea of my tiny newborn baby girl growing into a full blown baby, toddler, preschooler...adult. As this picture might suggest, I am sure that some part of Sara's brain is totally annoyed at my resultant desire to hang on to her every second...and yet, I insist. And I am glad that Sara snuggles with me in return!

Jared very astutely suggested that I am feeling so nervous about this because I have three other children that I have watched grow from newborn to child, and I more clearly understand how fast it blows by. I think he hit the nail on the head! So I am left with a goal of treasuring ever moment that I get with Sara: letting her fall asleep in my arms, singing her songs so she get to know my voice, rubbing lotion into her tiny fingers and toes, and drinking in the newborn scent that still lingers on her skin. I sure do love Sara and I feel the mothering urge so strongly towards her and towards the other children. It is as if Sara has reminded me how important being a mother actually is and what a crucial calling I have towards all of my children. It is a humbling experience to be a new mother and to be in the presence of a newborn baby.

No comments: