Thursday, August 27, 2015

Math Strategies and Pure Brain Power!

Jordan is starting second grade off with a bang!  He completely blossomed over the summer in reading and math facts-and three weeks into the school year, he gets more excited every day to do his homework, read his books, tell me how many math facts he passed off, and write his spelling words.  I love his zest for learning!

So today, during our math fact review, we had the following conversation that just further tickled me:

Me:  Jordan, what's 7 + 8?
Jordan: 15
Me:  What strategy did you use?
Jordan: Counting on.
Me:  How did you use that to get 15?
Jordan: Well, I took 1 away from the 8 and put it in a blank spot in my head.  Then I took 1 away from the first 7 and put it in the blank spot too.  And I took 1 away from the second 7 and put it in the blank spot with the other two.  I know 6 plus 6 is 12, and then i add back the 1 I took from the 8, and the 1 I took from the 7, and the 1 I took form the other 7. And then I get 15.

Can't help but smile! The kid took the hard way, but who cares?  he totally understood it, and could explain it to me without batting an eye.  he must be a very visual learner to picture all this in his head and not lose track of what he is doing.  So cool to see that process!

No comments: