Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day 2012

5/13/12

Mother's Day this year was unique.  I was actually pretty stressed out all morning-things were just off for me, and my emotions were going everywhere. This was not necessarily a great attitude as the kids and Jared made me a really good breakfast, gifts from school, and Jared gave me a lovely card and flowers.  I am not sure what was so wrong, but I was on the verge of crying all morning. 

So Jared gave me the best gift he could have possibly imagined: he took me away.  We decided during sacrament meeting (for which were were late) to drive to Payson for the afternoon.  We quickly made plans for an impromptu dinner and threw emergency jackets, water bottles, and a first aid kit in a bag.  We packed up the kids and took off by 3pm-probably the fastest turn around we have ever had.

And what a fantastic time we had! As we got further and further away from our home, my stresses and worries seemed to dissipate.  Jared told me a story of his days at USAA.  He remembered one day in particular when he felt so anxious and stressed out that hejust had to get away.  He left work early and drove to Happy Jack up North-got there-and turned back around.  He said he felt the same way-his worries were just left behind and he could breathe again.  He said when he saw the look in my eyes that morning, he realized I was in the same boat, which is when he decided to take me away because he knew it would turn my day around.  Oh how I love that man-he knew exactly what I needed before I did.  I am so lucky.

We took a little turn off by the name of Flowing Springs Road, about 10 minutes outside of Payson.  It led us to a river which turned out to be the Verde River, and a beautiful patch of sandy campgrounds.  We laid out a tarp and ate dinner together-PBJ's, apples, and chips, played hide and go seek, explored the area including bear caves, and checked out the river.  It was very obvious animals were close by so we were cautious.  I love being outdoors, especially amongst pine trees, and it felt that much better today being with family on a day where Mother's should celebrate the very thing that makes the day celebratory.  I am not sure if I would have gotten that if we stayed in Mesa that day.

The drives to and from were beautiful as well-the kids love the dips in the road and the adults love the canyons and the rock faces of the mountains.  We got a very up close view of the Sunflower fire, which is just South of Payson.  The plumes of smoke were huge and we could literaly see the flames from our car.  very scary, but a pretty amazing view-we hope everything is okay.

Overall, the day ended so much better than it started, and I am so grateful to Jared for that fact.  We were able to give both of our mothers a shutterfly book to celebrate them, which I hope they loved.  I also got to talk to Robert this morning, though we missed Stephen while in Payson.  Motherhood is such an emotional thing-mostly great and wonderful, and on the days when that sentiment is missing, it definitely is noticeable!  I am so grateful for a fantastic husband who realizes that as important as Motherhood is, the concept of Rachel has to stay intact for me to be a good Mother in our home.  Such a wonderful husband and in retrospect, a wonderful day.  Happy Mother's Day!










No comments: