Thursday, May 17, 2012

Karianna is a Babysitter


Karianna is earning money right now so she can go see Wicked with us in Tucson. This has been a great opportunity for her to learn the beauty of setting a financial goal and working hard towards it.  She has had to think twice about how frequently she buys gumballs at Walmart and she has had to weigh the consequence of spending her money.  She earns money by doing various jobs around the house, the most popular of which are cleaning Sara's room or babysitting James.  The other day I gave her a list of chores she could work on and I told her she could earn up to 20 cents for each chore.  I told her when she was done, I would tour the house and determine how much she had earned for each chore.  I reminded her a really good, careful job would render more money; a sloppy fast job might not.  After she was done, I walked around and checked out her work, jotted down how much she had earned per job, and asked her to add up her total, as well as convert it to dollars rather than just cents.  She ended up earning 3 dollars and 20 cents for several jobs well done-I was very proud of her, she even earned some bonuses for doing thinks like getting a clorox wipe and sanitizing a bucket of Sara's toys-far outside the expectations.  It was a great monetary lesson for her!

Karianna probably enjoys earning money for babysitting the best, simply because she loves James!  The other day while babysitting James, I walked into the family room to check on her and found her indeed taking care of James-she had found a really comfortable place for him to lay!  I love how well she loves her brother, and I love what this "Wicked Fund" is teaching her!  Great job Nana!


No comments: