Before we do social studies today, I need to tell you guys about some new class rules that Mr. Minarcik has set for us. I know some of these rules are going to sound very serious to you, and that's because they are-we need to make some changes here at school and I need for everyone to pay attention so you know what is expected of you.
The first rule is about recess time (written on the board). Here's how it will work: Row 1 and Row 2 will still get 20 minutes of recess, but row 3 and row 4 will only get 5 minutes. We'll just have rows 3 and 4 do extra homework while everyone else finishes their recess time.
The next rule is for when we are walking in line in the halls. Mr. Minacik wants us to put everyone in a certain order, so please remember where you are supposed to stand: Row 1 and Row 2 are in the front, and Row 3 and Row 4 are in the back. I guess that means we'll need line leaders only from Rows 1 and 2 from now on, so I'll make sure not to call line leaders from Rows 3 and 4 anymore.
Rule three is for the cafeteria, we only have a limited number of seats now, so listen to where you will need to sit: Row 1 and Row 2 will stay on our regular tables, and Row 3 and Row 4 will be sitting on the floor....I think they said you will be on the wall behind the garbage cans. I know it probably isn't going to smell too nice, but that's the rule.
There is also a bathroom rule. We can't have kids crowing the bathrooms anymore, so Row 1 and Row 2 can still go to the bathrooms when they need to with the pass, but Row 3 and Row 4 wil need to just go to the bathroom before or after school. I can't send you during the day with a pass-please remember that, and I'll send home letters to mom and dad so thye know.
Last rule is about school days. Some of you will have to come on different days, and this starts this week, so listen carefully-Row 1 and Row 2 will still come to school Monday through Friday. Row 3 and Row 4, you have to come on Saturday as well. Not all the teachers will be here, so you'll just be doing dictionary work and math facts all day. The aides won't be here either so plan on no recesses.
Now, I know those are pretty serious rules, but that's what Mr. Minarcik says we are doing now, so Row 3 and Row 4, be prepared for the rule changes starting tomorrow. If you can't follow those rules, we'e been told to give out after school detentions, so please make sure you know what is expected of you.
******************************
Here's a sampling of the comments I got:
- That is completely not fair, why do we (rows 3 and 4) have to do all the awful stuff and the other rows get to do all the good stuff?
- If we have to sit by the garbage cans during lunch, we are going to start to smell and I don't want people to think I stink.
- So are we just supposed to watch people playing? Isn't that kind of like owing you recess? Why do I have to owe you recess every single day when I did nothing wrong?
- I don't want to sit in row 4 anymore; this stinks.
My favorite comments from a student in Row 1:
- How bout this, how bout if some kids in row 1 switch places with kids in row 3 for a couple days of the week, and how bout if some kids in row 2 switch places with kids in row 3 for a couple days a week? That way we can take turns doing the awful stuff and then nobody has to do all the awful stuff all the time?
- I don't want "Tim" to have to do all that awful stuff-he's my best friend.
***********************
After listening to the discussion, I finally gave it up: I told them this is not actually happening, that it is not true. Nobody spoke. They were al speechless. I told them that everything was staying the same at our school because those rules were not fair at all. I then told them that even though these rules are not real for our school, this situation did happen for real, though not exactly the same. They were speechless. Nobody spoke. It seemed completely unreal to them that rules this ridiculous could have existed for anyone. Complete and utter silence from a shocked room.
That is pretty abnormal for my class.
Thus-I made my point.
We spiraled into the lesson about MLK, and they were into it and excited and boy did they learn a lot. I did pull a few kids back at the end of the class to chat with them because they were so overwhelmed by the class scenario. One kiddo was crying because of those unfair rules he thought he would have to follow; another kid put his jacket over his head and remained that way for half an hour. I called those parents as well so they could follow up at home to distinguish between the scenario and what really happened 50 years ago. It was a powerful lesson, and I highly doubt anyone is going to forget why we celebrate MLK day. They got a glimpse into history today-and that made me feel so cool. Its days like these where I absolutely, positively love my job.
Happy MLK Day.
No comments:
Post a Comment