Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Biker Kids

Jared and I have made it a goal this year to get the kids out of the house more. Nothing huge or way unusual, just out of the house. One simple way-just to go bike riding every day. It sounds so easy, but it is a bit more complicated when you are on a somewhat busy street (surprisingly so!) and you have to monitor little kids as well as kids who want to be (but are not all the way ready to be) independent. Jared has gotten into the routine of doing PE with the boys every day (one of our strategies to get JD ready for kindergarten next year). I have also gotten in the habit of going on a bike ride after work with all the kids. Today we wove in and out of the neighborhood and popped onto the main street for a while. It was a ton of fun and it was great to see JD and Karianna racing each other on their bikes, riding up and down driveways with ease, and standing up to pedal (that one is still somewhat shakey....that word does not look right). I think both kids are ready to lose their training wheels, maybe this weekend. I love our rides together, we get to talk and just enjoy each other's company. When Jordan's birthday rolls around next month, we'll proabbly add a bike to our garage for him so he can start riding with us-then Sara will rule the bike trailor all by herself!

I"m just so proud of the kids' progress, and its encouraging to see when I struggle not being home with them all day. JD has started to sound out words and that is always such a cool step to see in a kid. Sara learned how to blow kisses the other day and understands more every day. Karianna brought home an amazing report card with zero concerns; we were so proud of her. And Jordan-bless his little heart, he can be such a stinkbomb (that's a popular word in our house right now). But he is also such a sponge and is soaking up everything we tell him-and he remains so happy all the time. Oh, my kids...it can be so easy to get frustrated at little things they do, which really is a result of having a hard long day rather than actual things the kids are doing. They really are the light of my life and the reason Jared and I do everything we do.

Huh. Didn't mean for this post to end this way, but there it is!

No comments: