Friday, September 19, 2014

Family Get Away

We snuck away for the day today in lieu of upcoming surgery.  We originally wanted to drive all the way up to Snowbowl, but decided to just take our time and ended up running out of it!  In any case, we enjoyed getting away, and leaving the city is always a breath of fresh air-makes you feel like you are leaving real life behind.

We took a quick drive around the new Phoenix Temple, which is quite gorgeous, especially the somewhat rounded spire that holds Moroni.  

 We drove straight to Montezuma's Castle in Campe Verde as planned.  It was a little hotter than we would have preferred, but the wind saved us, and we had a fun time hiking around the trail an checking out the castle.
 This is the poop display.  Poop from all sorts of different animals.  Gross.

 I've been here before, but it was really neat reading the history of this place and supposing with kids what it would have been like to live here.



 I usually think of my camera as pretty mediocre, but I thought this shot was pretty awesome considering I was zooming!



 Checking out the Verde River at the end of the loop.


 Checking out a spider web in the tree.
 He was crazy in laying down here, those stones were hot!

 We stopped at Denny's for lunch...or breakfast actually, given that most of us got eggs an pancakes.  I got an awesome helping of oatmeal, which I love, and I think it made me a little sick later on.  Too bad.  We had a BLAST filling out the mad libs in the kids' menus!



 Jackson sat here most of the time clapping his feet together, as orchestrated by his hands.  He's such an easy baby.
We did stop at the Anthem park on the way home, only to find it was closed because its being rebuilt...bummer!  I really enjoyed that tall climber, but I can imagine it was not considered the safest by the community, hence the rebuild.  Most of the kids were asleep at this point anyway, so it wasn't a big deal to head back home.  We really enjoyed our day together-we were still anticipating surgery a few days after that before things got rescheduled, and it helps my anxiety to get out of town and just enjoy the kids, especially James.  So we can now cross off Montezuma's Castle on our list of things to see in AZ!

No comments: