It's Christmas Day! Woohoo! I love Christmas Day and it always goes by so fast! I always end up looking at Jared late afternoon and saying something like, "wow, it's almost over already". Such are the good things in life-they go by so fast! We had a fantastic Christmas Day overall, and certainly enjoyed our time together with each other as a family. There are a ton of pictures in this post, it's the only way to do the day justice. I'll add some commentary here and there, otherwise I'll let the pics do the talking!
We started out as we always do, with a huge breakfast spread. The boys don't seem too excited--or perhaps it's too early? Silly boys!
Once everyone is dressed and things are generally clean (yes, that's how we do it), we gathered for the main event. I LOVE how excited James' eyes look!This year we actually watched each person open their gifts in rounds-and we made it until maybe the last two rounds. It was SUCH an ideal way to ramp up the excitement, I loved hearing every kid yell out, "wow! cool! oh my gosh, that's awesome!" when another kid opened a gift. It made the focus kid feel cool, and it just made everyone smile!
This is a family favorite right now, and I hold the high score of 420, hee hee hee!
Yes, this is a toothbrush! James loves to steal the other kids' spinbrushes, and thus, he got his own.
The best reaction of the day: Rainbow Loom.
That's just how this kid rolls-he loves kix!
2nd best reaction of the day, though it's not pictured-you should have heard the very loud, high-pitched, girly scream that came from JD when he saw this! Sorry JD, but it's true!
And this was Jackson the entire time, with his hand like this, the entire time. Probably thinking, what the flip out are they all doing????
Mom and Dad gifts--JD made a beautiful calendar of his own artwork, Karianna made a clay pot perfectly sized to fit my wedding ring, and Jordan made a Christmas ornament and a handprint reindeer.
Jared looks good, I look weird....
I look good, Jared looks weird!
I love James' expression as Jared loads up this huge nerf gun!
Stockings are always last for us! Everyone had a movie shoved in there this year.
For memory sake, Jackson had a single gift this year in his stocking: a package of disposable diaper baggies.
We got done with our presents around 1, at which point we quickly cleaned (and actually got it all cleaned!) and headed to my mom's house for round 2. We gave my mom a new shoe for display, which she hasn't gotten in a while, and she went above and beyond giving the kids gifts. As we were heading out of my mom's house, I thought I felt James coming down with a slight fever. We came home to sleep for an hour and upon getting up, I verified that James did, in fact, have a fever. The Lautenschlagers insisted we still come over and just keep James sequestered. So we went for round 3 of more gifts, and the kids did great maintaining their awesome reactions even though I could tell they were getting burned out! Once again, the Lautens went above and beyond and they gave James my personal favorite gift this year-how adorable is this???
We had an amazing dinner with the Lautens-prime roast...melt in your mouth yum! James didn't eat anything on his plate, and I knew he was probably getting hotter. Sure enough, he slept on my lap for about an hour while the kids played with their toys and watched Jack the Giant Slayer. He woke up revitalized, but within 20 minutes was in breakdown mode because I got up to get a drink and left him on the couch alone. Time to go, silly boy!
And with that, our Christmas dwindled to a close. We trekked the piles of gifts into our house and put the kids to bed rather quickly. Jared discovered that the achey feeling he had all day had morphed into a fever, and he started getting chills/body aches to boot. Jordan woke up in the middle of the night to throw up as well, while James' fever finally broke around 2 in the morning. So while it was a sick way to end Christmas Day, it was still a magical day, and I thoroughly enjoyed my wonderful family.
Merry Christmas 2013!
No comments:
Post a Comment