Wednesday, June 12, 2013

James: 18 months

James is officially 1 1/2 years old!  He is doing SO great, and I am so in love with him, just as much as I was the day he was born.  I spent today following him with a camera and catching all the things he likes to do during the day.  You will notice a pattern, and that pattern is "things that are inappropriate".  Observe:

Trying to smash ants with his finger.
 Emptying everything out of the activity bag.  Eventually finding my make up bag and trying to give himself a makeover.
 Playing with the contents of my purse.
 Drawing with markers on his body and on the floor-can you see the brown scribbles on the left by his knee?

 Climbing, especially on chairs.
 Stealing other people's food.
 Digging through the garbage to find leftover food.
 Playing with the real telephones.
Oh James, how I love you, but you sure do frustrate me sometimes!  Regardless, James is still my little bug of joy and we love him to pieces.  Here are some other 18 month things to note:

  1. James is talking more and understands a ton.  He will follow simple requests like putting things in the sink and the garbage.  He is starting to say some 2 word phrases like thank you and love you and all done.  He isn't talking as much as I would expect, but when I consider where he was at around 6 months-just squeaking because of his TVC paralysis-I realize his talking at all is a big blessing.
  2. James loves animals.  He loves dogs especially, reading any animal book, and singing Old MacDonald.  He loves bugs as well-finding them, yelling out "bug!" when he sees them, and squishing them of course.  He loves roaring like a lion as well!
  3. James is finally sitting forward facing in his carseat.  I have never left a kid facing backward as long as I did James, and I honestly would have kept him backwards if it worked better in our new van.  
  4. James officially has his own room as of tonite!  That has been a long time coming.  He is close to climbing out of his pack and play and I am already dreading moving him to a big boy bed, just because i think he is going to wreak havoc on his room. 
  5. James loves balls-throwing them and kicking them, and caught his first throw the other day.  
  6. James gives sweet kisses. Of course, his mouth is wide open, and that hasn't changed....and sometimes he will come towards you when asked for a kiss and then run away at the last second....but when you actually catch one, they are sweet!
  7. James has a hard time if he has to separate from me or Jared, but me especially.  He never had this stranger danger when he was younger, but he certainly has it now.  He went to nursery for his first time last week, and I had Jared take him to avoid the crying-and thankfully that worked!  
  8. James loves to run everywhere and jump on beds.  He likes swimming, but I admittedly don't take him a ton.  
  9. James can be very independent and if something isn't going his way, he will let you know big time.  Brothers and sisters have learned that lesson!
  10. James tries to help with everything.  He tried to help me move Sara's bed today.  He always tries to help unload the dishwasher.  He tries to help fold clothes.  He is great at cleaning up stuff if I ask him to!  Sometimes his "help" isn't very helpful but I am trying to be patient with him.
  11. James has lots of little curls in the back as well as a lovely mohawk on the top if I spike it up.  
  12. James loves baths but hates getting his hair washed.  He loves driving cars around the floor.  He loves to draw with chalk and with markers (on or off paper).  He loves to steal water bottles and drink out of them.  He loves milk with a passion.  His favorite foods are bananas and string cheese. He does not sit well for long periods of time and gets easily frustrated if he can't move where he wants to.  He is hard to discipline because he doesn't quite get it.  He has the cutest shy little smiles.  
I'm sure I could go on with James antics, as evidenced by a 12 item list!  In terms of James' health, we won't have a heart update until August, but for all intents and purposes, he seems to be doing great.  His growth has been amazing, he never ever slows down, and there is nothing to suggest he might be declining.  I don't have weight/height stats, but I'll add those when I get them.  It's awesome, this is the first doctor well visit that I am NOT anxious about the number on that scale-James' little belly proves he has been growing!  

Happy year and a half Jamos!

No comments: