Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A Birthday and an Anniversary in One!

This past week was special in that we celebrated my Mom and Dad's wedding anniversary, AND my Mom's birthday! Mom and Dad celebrated their 30th (oh, I hope I have that right!!!) wedding anniversary on Monday, August 17th. I think it is wonderfully amazing that I can say that sentence in the present tense, despite the fact that Dad is not here any longer. That is the beauty of an eternal marriage! For the last few years, all of the kids have been writing "Memory Pages" for each anniversary-memories of Mom and Dad together that stand out in our minds and that have helped shape our lives, whether in a large or small manner. I personally love this tradition, it is a wonderful opportunity to reflect on how wonderful my parents are and to see how their actions and teachings have impacted my life. This year I wrote about the moment when my relationship with Mom and Dad became one that involved deep communication-actually talking and listening to each other about real and important stuff rather than just assuming we all lived on different planets. I am so grateful for my parents and for the many ways they have demonstrated in word and deed how much they love me and each other. Wonderful examples and memories that I will always cherish.

Mom's birthday was on Friday, August 21st. The kids and I made a banner to hang in the kitchen while Mom was at a movie. We also made cards for Mom, which I really think is the pinnacle of any birthday! I love to see what the kids want to say to Mom as compliments. Karianna's card included a simple "You are Beautiful", which is so true when it comes to Mom-seriously good fashion sense! :) JD just wanted to compliment Mom's taste in books, since he covets her most recent dinosuar book purchase!
The adults got to do something unique and go out to dinner with Mom MINUS the kids! I am not sure if we have ever attempted that before...I think it went well for the first time around, we had most everyone there (if you couldn't come, we missed you!). We went to the Cheesecake Factory at Mom's request and I think the highlight of the night for me was seeing the size of Kristen's salad...pretty awesome! We all sang Happy Birthday to Mom as she was presented with her mini desert freebie. After dinner, we headed to the Mantanona's for some delicious smoothies and time with the kids. It was a fun way to celebrate Mom's birthday, and I really hope she enjoyed it! What a week, and hopefully one that will be remembered for good memories, lots of love, and wonderful times to come.


No comments: