Thanksgiving this year was a wonderful day, full of good memories, good food, and good feelings. We started it off with our traditional Erickson family turkey trot! 
This year was unique for several different reasons:
- Grandma Erickson rode with us for the first time ever. Even going back to childhood-I don't think that has ever happened.
- We had more kids than adults.
- I ran two of the six miles, switching off with Becca and Kristen so one of us was always running.
- Karianna-champ that she is-ran two of the six miles as well, switching off with Makayla and Elizabeth so one of them was always running. This is the first time we have ever had kids running the entire thing in turn.
I felt great running those couple of miles, especially running with Karianna. I was on the very last mile, which was definitely more difficult than mile 4 since it is slightly uphill and since i was flat out tired. But I did it, and managed to sprint the last 100 yards or so, just like Dad used to do. Grateful for the ability to be active and for the accomplishments of all my family.
Having just gotten back to Mom's house. :)
We had some scheduling snafus with the Lautenschlagers, so we ended up resting and cooking for a few hours until it was time to head back to Grandma Erickson's place for dinner with the rest of the family. I unfortunately got a really bad sinus headache that would not dissipate until later that evening, but I pushed through as best as I could-I took a little catnap in Grandma's backyard laying on a blanket in the sun, and that actually felt heavenly, and helped my headache. The food was delicious, and I thought my green bean casserole and brownies turned out great. As always, I love dark meat! The kids ate well, and just had a blast playing with all the cousins. We had a bit of a scare later on when Megan ate some ranch dressing and started to have a bad reaction during which she was struggling to breathe. Thankfully, she responded really well to the nebulizer/albuteral that I grabbed from our house-I always have it on hand for James, and it was just the ticket to open up Megan's lungs and help her breathe better. That was certainly scary.
On a lighter note, spell check wants me to change the word "albuteral" to "butterball". Probably not the right correction. ;)
5:30 rolled around and it was time to head home-and out shopping! My normal partner in crime, Rebecca, also got a bad headache and stayed home most of the day, so Jared actually came black Friday (Thursday) shopping with me. I never mind running out to a few places on Thanksgiving to be honest. I like the crowds, I like catching the deals, and I'm always with a family member, so that is redeeming. I do feel bad that others have to be working on Thanksgiving. Anyhow, Jared and I went to Target to wait in line for entry. We only needed three things: razors, a marble tower, and a book. I figured that would be easy, and the lines/parking actually were not that bad-I have seen black Friday crowds WAY worse than this. We got in and headed to the razors-and they were completely gone. By the look of the set up, they probably only had like, 10 razors. i was mad. If you are going to put something on a black friday ad, make sure you are stocked up! Ugh. Anyhow, we found the other two items just fine, checked out in about 2 minutes flat, and headed to Walmart to pick up maybe 4 or 5 things, none of which were pressing. Walmart was not that busy either. It was fun shopping with Jared-we picked up hot chocolate and some firewood on the way home and had a great time hanging out with the kids before bedtime. We shared things we are grateful for together, I sang the little kids thanksgiving primary songs before bed, and it was just a nice end to a lovely day (minus my headache of course).
We really are grateful for everything we have in our lives. I know I need to focus on this gratitude more often during the year, but this is why I love thanksgiving--it really helps you take a step back and consider what is important in life. Happy Thanksgiving!
No comments:
Post a Comment