Monday, July 6, 2015

It is Official!

We have been planning a summer vacation to Seaworld for the past.....wow, maybe 6 months or so?  That's probably about right.  I LOVE Seaworld, and I really want to share that with the kids-I think they are PERFECT ages for a trip like this, and I love the idea of building these memories.

Unfortunately, the kids' behavior has been difficult the last month or so, to the degree that we had a very serious conversation about cancelling the trip.  For all intents and purposes, it has been off for the last month, unless the kids proved to us they could be kind to each other, help around the house, and have good attitudes.  The kids had their ups and downs with this cancellation, sometimes saying they didn't care, and at other times, whispering "Seaworld" to each other when they saw another kid having a poor attitude.  I implemented a new behavior chart a few weeks ago in which the kids have to earn 4 checks in the areas of behavior, cleaning, kindness, and attitude.  It has been working very well, and it has diminished the focus on treats-they have no idea when I will announce it is treat day for those who have 4 checks, they have to focus on getting and keeping their checks for an undetermined amount of time.  I think it has set a really good spirit in the house as we get in the habit of have a christ-like home.

So, we have been telling the kids we would have a family meeting tonight to make the official decision of whether or not we, as a family, have earned the chance to do our vacation.  We gathered together, very somber, and reviewed what the last few weeks had been like from Mom and Dad's perspective.  Then we asked the kids how they thought they had done.  They each had a moment to share their thoughts.  We asked them if they seriously thought we had earned it.  Karianna took the initiative in this moment and pulled all the kids into a group huddle.  Regardless of the situation-this was pretty darn cute!




After huddling, Karianna acted as a spokesperson and said they all agreed they were not perfect, but had worked pretty had to earn their checks, and even though Sara and James did not earn the first round of treats, they knew what they had to do to get them next time, and that shows they learned.  She said they knew if we said yes, they couldn't stop being on their best behavior.  I liked that last sentiment.

Jared and I told the kids we needed some time to talk alone, so the kids went to the other room and sat quietly (for reals) while Jared and I talked.  What was our answer?  Well, here are the reactions when we announced the big decision:





Even Jackson got caught up in the chaos!

So it is official-we are going to Seaworld in 3 days!  Thankfully, Jared and I already booked a hotel just in case ;) and we already have our 2 day Seaworld tickets printed up ;)  Always be prepared, I like to say!

No comments: