Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Kid Update: Jordan

Jordan is proud of himself and his ability to pick amazing pajamas.  I mean, what could be better than this ensemble? 

Jordan went to a speech pathologist a few weeks ago to do some speech screening.  Jordan talks a mile a minute, but it can be difficult to understand.  I have pinpointed a few things-there's about 6 phonemes he can't say, which is not so much concerning, but the concerning part is he can't/won't say any blends, like "st" or "br".  He only does one of the two sounds, even if you slow it down and show him how to form the sound.  If its a phoneme he can't say, he'll substitute a single sound for the whole blend.  He's also started to stutter a bit lately.  He is moving on to a second screening later this month, after which I am hoping they will tell us he qualifies for some speech therapy in a preschool type setting.  I don't mind him doing speech once he hits kinder, but if we can take care of it now, why not?  The only problem is that during the screening, Jared got the impression that most kids who qualify have other issues across the board-motor, IQ, fine motor, etc.  Jordan has no issues there obviously, and even with speech, its not like he missed the babbling stages or just refuses to talk in general.  IF you've ever met Jordan, you KNOW he talks...and talks....and talks!  I am hoping the speech pathologist agrees that his sound formation is serious enough to get him services now, it would be great to give Jordan the resources necessary to make himself more understandable more frequently.

Jordan remains the super happy child he has always been, with his ear to ear grins and his insatiable energy levels.  He can be a handful at night time, when he refuses to stop talking to JD, and he loves to race around the house throwing balls, and "play" fighting with JD.  He loves to count and do homework with the other kids and he LOVES to swim when we actually go!  I've lost a lot of energy for taking the kids out to the pool after school, but when I do, Jordan just eats it up! 

Jordan is also super excited about baby James and will tell you all about my due date and what will soon follow-his birthday, going to primary, sitting in the back of the car with the big kids, Christmas..... I think he can't wait!

No comments: