Friday, September 16, 2011
Celebrating Karianna Faith!
Karianna is 7! I cannot believe I have a 7 year old, or what's more-that next year I'll have a child who is baptized! I just can't believe time has really moved that fast. In true Rachel form, I find myself wondering if Karianna's first 7 years of life have been all they should be and more. I hope she has good memories that fill these first 7 years, that she remembers good lessons, good family activities, and good accomplishments. She has grown up into such a beautiful, loving, and kind young lady, I am so proud of her and all that she is!
Although there are TONS of things I love about Karianna, I'll just name off a couple of things. I love her developing sense of perseverance I love that she is trying things out-and continuing to try until she gets it. It can be hard for Karianna to try things that are immediately hard for her-like monkey bars, jumping rope, and Suduko. She has grown up a LOT in terms of not giving up, and I love that growing quality about her. I love how good of a friend she is. She really goes out of her way at school and at church to say hi to her friends, to try and spread her time between multiple friends, and to say kind things to them Her teachers always award her a "Good Friend" award at the end of school, even across different schools. I can definitely see the reasoning for that! I love that Karianna has a goofy side. I have always worried that as the first child, I was too strict with her. I love when I see her goofy side come out-when she's playing with her cousins, her brothers, her dad, her friends-it is wonderful to see! On the other hand, I love how sensitive Karianna can be, even when I see that it can make things difficult. You can tell her heart is on her sleeve most of the time, and I hope that becomes a strength for her. Most of all, I love my open and honest conversations with Karianna. We have always had that relationship and I have made it a point to encourage it; I love that she can ask me questions across all subjects without feeling embarrased or unsure. I truly hope this continues as she grows older. So many things that make Karianna KARIANNA!
I am sure I have recorded Karianna's birth story in past blogs, but I can't pass up the opportunity to record my thoughts, as I am sure they will disappear over the years! I remember that I hit my 40 week mark with no Karianna. I was dying as a new mother to be! Jared and I went to Tempe Town Lake, rented a paddleboat, and paddled for an hour trying to induce labor. It didn't happen. :) We walked around the 9/11 memoriam as well, hoping that would help-I wore a blue stretch t-shirt that I loved, but I remember feeling like my stomach was going to burst! I went to my doctor's appointment 2 days later on the 16th feeling very aggrevated and determined to have Dr. Holmes stretch me until I just went into labor. I had Jared bring the hospital bag because I wasn't leaving until I was told to go to the hospital! Karianna must have known how impatient I was getting because as Dr. Holmes stretched me, my water broke :) Good thing we had that bag because the good Doc diapered me up (literally!) and sent us over to L&D. If I remember correctly, this was around noon on the 16th.
I don't remember too many details while in the hospital. I remember getting an epidural that eliminated ALL feeling from upper waist down. At the time, that was heaven. I remember having a very hard time staying still during the epidural insertion process. That was a new experience! I remember that my parents and Jared's parents came to visit before I delivered and although I was glad to see them, I was nervous because I absolutely did not want anyone but Jared in for Karianna's delivery. I had a talk with my nurse before they walked in. She told me if I ever hit a point where I wanted them out, I just needed to cough. That would be her sign to usher the parents out with some excuse. I love that nurse!!!! Sure enough, at some point I did in fact cough and the nurse told the parents they needed to check my progress and out they went. It was at that point that she told me I was at an 8 and it wouldn't be much longer!
I had Jared call the parents back in to give me a blessing. I asked Jared to annoint, and I asked my Dad to give the actual blessing. To me, it felt like this was my Dad's last chance to do something as my provider. Jared had been that person for a while, but it felt to me that having a baby with my husband officialy sent me out of daughter land-at least the type of daughter who relied on her Dad. Those are jumbled up feelings, but it was how the Lord was directing me at the time. I don't remember the actual blessing too much, but the spirit was very comforting since I was entering a total land of the unknown. I think the blessing was as much for Jared as for me, being the new dad that he was.
After the blessing, the nurse shooed the parents out again and checked me-full 10. Didn't take long! I remember being told exactly how to push, and it was only the imagery that helped me do it-I couldn't feel a single thing! It took Karianna about 15 minutes to fully deliver, and when she was placed on my chest, perfectly healthy, perfectly beautiful-I was at a complete loss for words. I couldn't focus on anything else except her. It was a wonderful feeling. The nurse who was with me attached a little purple bow to her full head of hair. Everyone commented that she looked asian with her eye shape, darker skin, and jet black hair. She was wide eyed from the start and nursed like a pro (even while dealing with a newbie mom!). My parents came back in to hold her, as well as Jared's parents, and Becca and Eric....more people might have been there, but I don't remember. I remember Becca in particular seeming in awe with Karianna, as Becca didn't have any kids yet (I think she might have been just barely pregnant with Elizabeth). I remember my mom wore a white shirt which stood out starkly against Karianna's dark features, and my Dad was wearing a blue button down striped shirt. He looked so proud to be a grandpa. I remember just a few weeks before Karianna was born, my Dad called me over and asked me if I minded that he and my mom went to visit Suzanne out of state to meet her firstborn, Makayla. I thought it was so sweet that he would ask me that-he was afraid I would go early and they would then miss Karianna's birth.
Karianna was ready to go home after a 2 day hospital stay (I was group B positive)-all except for a potential case of jaundice. The docs wanted to watch her for another day, and I was devastated at the thought that we would have to leave since I was being discharged. Luckily, Banner Desert had "nesting rooms"-Jared and I could stay, but would not have any nurses checking up on us, etc. Just a room to sleep in. That was fine by us-we slept and woke every 3 hours to feed Karianna, who was kept in the nursery. After another day, she was released and came home with us to our little apartment on Dobson and Baseline. We were then a family of 3, and I have loved every minutes of it.
As old as Karianna gets, she will still be my little girl-my first little girl who changed my life so very much. Her spirit is so special, and I feel that about her every day. Happy birthday Karianna!!!!!!! We love you!!!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment