I am so excited for this year's theme in primary: "I Know the Scriptures Are True". I LOVE the prospects of teaching the children about the scriptures through music. I strongly believe the doctrine taught in our primary songs reflects that of the scriptures, and what better way to teach the gospel than through song? As I was pondering the songs I wanted to teach this year, I came up with a great idea for a singing time bulletin board that would tie together my desire to teach the scriptures through music. I called it "Singing Through the Scriptures", and spent a Saturday morning putting the bulletin board up in the primary room. I love bulletin boards ,and I love how this one turned out! But more than that, I love the possibilities it opens for this year's theme, and I am just so excited to put it to use!
For the month of January, we explored two scriptures and correlating songs. We talked about feasting upon the words of Christ and how we can do that by searching the scriptures, pondering them, and praying. Another week, we discussed choices and who we would choose to serve; singing "Choose the Right" was an easy follow up to that, and I was impressed how quickly the kids learned it in a 5 minute round of fill-in-the-blank. What a wonderful calling I have. I am very aware that my time as the chorister will be short this year with an impending move over the summer--and maybe sooner if the rumors about boundary changes are true. Nonetheless, I am going to use this time to nurture a love of the scriptures THROUGH song. We also spent January learning all three verses of "If I Listen With My Heart", multiple verses of "Book of Mormon Stories", the chorus of "The Iron Rod" (love how that sounds in kid voices!), and the chorus of "Scripture Power". We have done so much, and all in the name of understanding the scriptures and what they mean to us as we sojourn through life. I love this theme so much, and am so blessed to be teaching it to wonderful primary children-including my own!
No comments:
Post a Comment