Friday, May 8, 2015

5th Grade Wax Museum

I have really been looking forward to this event, as I think it is such a cool project!  The fifth grade does a wax museum each year, where students pick a historical figure, dress up like him or her, and prepare a speech, which they deliver anytime someone walks up to them in the psuedo-wax museum. Neat right?

I was just a little surprised when Karianna decided to select Harriet Tubman.  Great historical figure given her history and impact on slavery.....but tricky to dress Karianna up in a way that would make her look authentic as an African American heroine!  I briefly considered playing around with make up to darken Karianna's complexion, but didn't feel comfortable doing that-I felt it would be more insulting than anything.  At the end of the day, we created a costume to emulate Harriet's clothes, adopted a severe look, and called it a day.  Here's the comparison:

 I realize i am biased, but I thought it turned out really good!  Karianna ended up using a different skirt that was fuller on the day of the museum, which you can see below.  Her speech was fantastic and delivered flawlessly-and she never lost that severe look on her face, except for when I forced her to smile for one picture!  So proud of Karianna for her dedication to academics-she really gets into things like this, and I love seeing her accomplishments!



 Sara, Jordan, and JD all came with their classes to peruse the wax museum.  Here's Sara listening to Karianna's speech.

 I played around with an online photo editor just for kicks.  This was my favorite image (although I would have liked her face a bit more in focus):

No comments: