Monday, April 29, 2013

We are on Day 3

Today is the 3rd day we have been on our new family schedule.  Jared is hanging in there, he has managed to get about 4 1/2 hours of sleep each night.  The first day was overwhelming just learning the new responsibilities at his 2nd job.  The second day was easier from that standpoint, but harder because I forgot to pick up his migraine prescription and it left him feeling very out of sorts all day.  I managed to get him in bed about 20 minutes earlier after the 2nd day though, which I think is just more helpful for his psyche.  The kids have overall done a good job keeping our house very quiet until 8:10ish in the morning.

I'm doing okay thus far too.  I have a hard time falling asleep before Jared gets home, so I haven't been able to really zone out until around 1 in the morning.  Those early morning teaching hours have been hard, but I think a few more days of this and I think I will acclimate more.  I have enjoyed supporting Jared in this--which may sound weird, but it's true.  Things like putting together a good dinner with leftovers; packing his lunch/dinner in the morning; laying out his work clothes; getting back up at 3:20 when he gets home....they are all simple things, but it has made me feel like I am contributing to helping him get the time he needs to rest.  I'm sure the weariness of this will set in, and I already hit a point during the day where I just wish I could take a break.  But I just remind myself that Jared is working super hard, so I can work super hard too.

A kind of cool realization I've already had-maybe better described as a silver lining.  I think over the course of the last several months, I have gotten really used to Jared being home at night to do dinner for the kids.  I generally teach a few hours after he gets home from work, which usually meant he made dinner for the kids. Sometimes I would have dinner ready to go, he just had to serve; other times he would do everything.  As a result, I have gotten really apathetic about making dinner.  It wasn't fun for me, it was something I rushed through, and just didn't care all that much about as long as it had a protein, a fruit, a veggie, and was gluten free.  Sounds sad, doesn't it.  With Jared gone, it has really helped me focus on dinnertime as a family time, with a focus on healthy, balanced meals.  Already I am finding myself looking forward to making dinner-finding fruits and veggies we haven't done in a while, helping the kids see that eating them is fun (ex:  the corn on the cob is like clothes...you are supposed to eat until the cob is naked!), and having good conversations while we eat.  I'm no gourmet chef, and never will be.  But tonite we ate chicken seasoned only with lemon pepper seasoning, corn on the cob (hence the naked cob explanation), and fresh salad.  The kids all chorused loud thank yous as we set the table together.  We had a great family prayer over the meal.  We had that awesome corn conversation.  We talked about how school had gone for everyone that day, and what the little ones are anticipating doing in preschool tomorrow.  And we all watched James for choking hazards, as he tends to shove all his food in his mouth at the same time.  It was great, and I found myself sitting back and thinking--this is a silver lining.  I like feeling needed at this time of the day, and I'm glad for the responsibility.


No comments: