Thursday, January 1, 2009

Rites of Passage

Everyone celebrates New Year's Day a little differently. Our family went out to breakfast; afterwards, Karianna and I cleaned out the garage in order to make room for the newly packed christmas boxes. Jared took a much needed nap in anticipation of cleaning the carpet later tonite (he doesn't know he's going to be doing that yet). JD shocked us all by being amazingly well-behaved during our hour wait for breakfast. Looks like everyone is turning over a new leaf, eh? Jordan is definitely not exempt! It seems to me that the theme of the last few weeks has been development. Everything Jordan does these days has a pretty obvious purpose-where he crawls, what he says, what he plays with. A few days ago, he spent about half an hour taking each individual bath toy and finging it into the tub. It was very obvious that he appreciated the splashing effect and wanted to know more. That's just the stage he is in and it's great!

So in order to enrich Jordan's new developmental stage, I decided to nix the high chair and strap in the booster seat. Jordan was seriously so delighted that he got to eat dinner with us last night-on the same level, with his own plate, and with zero baby food. As the icing on the cake, he only threw his plate on the floor one time! That's gotta be a record! I remember my other kiddos joining the table crew when they turned 1; Jordan's jumping the gun by a few months, and I don't think there's any going back! What a cool rite of passage-I think babyhood is just about over!

No comments: