**Well, this is going to be a long story. I will break it up into 3 sections, just to make it easier. Remember, I warned you!
About 4 months ago, Jared and I had a serious conversation. We were both feeling major reservations about sending Karianna to 5th grade science camp. We had put my name down a long time ago as a chaperone-literally the only way I felt comfortable sending Karianna. We had talked to several other parents. We had read all the info that was sent home to understand the travel and safety protocols involved. Regardless, we could never quiet the uneasiness: we both felt like she shouldn't go, for multiple reasons. The biggest issue was doing an overnighter. The more I thought about it, the more I disagreed with sending a 10 year old on her first overnighter, for 2 nights, with a school group that was doing science camp, as a 3 day excursion, for the first time in a long time. After many long talks as a family and with Karianna's teacher, we decided to keep her home. With that decision, we also decided we would take Karianna on a special outing, just Jared, myself, and her. We knew we were asking her to miss out on something fun, and we didn't want her to just sit at home or in a 4th grade classroom doing nothing.
Thus, the idea of going to Disneyland was born.
Once we decided it was doable, we started to make plans. We scheduled my mom to babysit the other kids. We arranged for time off from both of our jobs. We booked a hotel, researched Disney tickets, and made travel plans. We knew it would be a whirlwind of a trip, but we also knew it would be filled with amazing memories for Karianna, especially since it was just her and us.
With this planning also came an extremely high degree of secrecy.
We told no one all of our plans, except my mom. 3 others knew generally where we were going, but not all of the specifics, and those people were sworn to secrecy. We told Karianna we were going to do something that day, all day, but not what. We did a really good job keeping this secret: she had no idea. Her best guess was going to the Grand Canyon for the day. We started speaking in code: we told her we were going to Yuma to feed the homeless. Now, don't get me wrong, that would be a great project, but she knew that really wasn't it, it was just our way of building up the anticipation without actually giving it away. We slipped a few times....thankfully, Karianna never noticed, and the secret was safe.
We cleaned a lot the two weeks before the impending trip. I systematically gutted out all the rooms, closets, toys, etc to make things easier for my mom to babysit. I quietly packed items without Karianna noticing-she had no idea we were planning to be gone more than a day, much less cross state lines. The night before, Karianna went to bed around 10pm, knowing we would likely leave early the next morning. She packed her rainbow loom stuff in a bag, just so she would have something to do in the car.
Little did she know we would wake her up at 1:15AM on Monday morning to get dressed, grab a pillow and blanket, and climb in the car to start driving.
It played in our favor that she was so tired that she slept most of the way-she never saw the signs when we crossed the border into California, she never saw the license plates, or the freeway signs announcing we were heading towards Los Angeles. She woke up when we got stuck in major traffic for an hour and a half (oh, that was annoying!), but we gave her the Fire Kindle we have been holding onto for her Christmas present (long story), and she was overly engaged/excited about that to notice our hooded conversations about changing our breakfast plans to head straight to Disney.
After a few wrong turns, we saw our first signs of Disney on the street signs directing us towards the parking lot. We admit-we were excited! We told Karianna to close her eyes, and eventually, to hide under her blanket. We were afraid the parking garage attendant would welcome us to Disneyland, so we had her cover her ears as we paid our parking fee. We got all the way to the main, uncovered lot before having Karianna open her eyes and get out of the car. With the video camera on, we asked her to look around and see if she could find any clues for where we were. She noticed the Pinocchio parking signs, but she told us flat out, she still had no idea where we were.
Jared and I were so stoked! She still had no idea whatsoever that we were even out of AZ, and we had long since told her and the kids Disney was just not going to be possible as a family vacation, as it is so expensive. Her mind would have never considered Disney! It still makes me smile to think of the excitement that was in the air!
I handed her one last clue: a gift bag with a custom made shirt that said, alongside a picture of Minnie Mouse: "I'm going to Disney!" Karianna read it, looked up at us with an astonished expression on her face, and freaked out!
She could not believe we were at Disneyland! She could not believe we were in California! She could not believe we were staying in a hotel and going to the ocean the next day! She could not believe I had packed without her knowing! Needless to say-she was shocked, and those looks on her face are completely precious to me. Karianna is growing up way too fast-I fear I am missing out on moments with her, especially when I get wrapped up with the other, younger kids....I forget she needs me and Jared just as much as ever. I think we were heroes in her eyes, in that moment. I knew at that point, our planning and scheming had been worth it, and we were so excited to get out mini-vacation underway!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment