Saturday, March 7, 2015

Potty Training Round 5!

 This little boy is officially in underwear!  We started potty training on Monday, following my preferred means of training:  clear guidelines, switching straight to underwear, and setting the timer at 20 minute intervals.  James was so excited about his underwear, which we have had for a while, and which he picked out.  He has used the potty multiple times in the past, just not with strict potty training rules.  He is obviously ready to potty train at 3, we just have put it off with surgery, recovery, holidays, and illnesses.  This was the perfect week to do it, and I had a goal to get this done by the end of March.  So Monday was go-time, and I felt it would go well.
Monday went great-one poop accident, and one pee accident, which I am grateful for-I like my kids to feel the grossness involved in accidents, and call it strict, but I make them clean it up.  it is very cut and dry-you made the mess, you clean it up.  James did great with that, and obviously didn't like the wet sensations.  he did great the rest of the day, and by the end of the night, he was going potty on his own, without the timer, and without any help.  Tuesday through Thursday were also great, which was weird because I got very sick, yet he still succeeded.  Friday was a bit of a test, as we went to the Zoo and then to a restaurant with Jared-again, he did great, zero accidents to speak of, and he even kept underwear on during naps that day.  I am super proud, and feeling like things are going very well.  

I am sure we will have some bumps, and we will work on naps next week before tackling bedtime.  James seems so much more grown up-he took to this so well, but he is walking with an extra swagger in his step, and that is just so cute!  

No comments: